Heads up! We just launched The Yoga Forum! Come join in, where we discuss everything from hip openers to hip hop!
If you're someone whose job requires sitting for long periods of time, this sequence might just be your new favorite thing. All six of these yoga poses will help to gently open the hips, which may release tension in the low back and legs. Anyone up for a little lunch break yoga? Here we go.
1. Supta baddakonasana - You can modify by placing yoga blocks or some thick books under your knees to support the legs. Breathe here for 5-7 breaths. Make your inhales and exhales match in length.
2. Fire log pose - This is a fantastic pose for the hips. Don't worry if you can't stack your knee perfectly on top your foot and vice versa - just do the best you can. Tip: flex the feet to protect your ankles.
3. Fire log pose extension - From fire log pose, spider your fingers out in front of you, keeping your shoulder blades drawn toward one another. Breathe length and space into any areas of tension. Then switch legs, and start in fire log pose again before coming back into the extension.
4. Single leg happy baby pose - Grab the outside edge of the foot and make sure your low back is glued to the mat. Invite your toes back toward your face and breathe 5 - 7 breaths here before switching sides.
5. Garland pose - This can be done on flat feet or to modify, come up onto the toes. Press your elbows into your legs to open up the legs a bit more. Tip: keep your collar bones broad by drawing your shoulder blades toward one another.
6. Pigeon pose - This works the hip flexors and also the chest which will do wonders for your posture. Puff the chest out a bit and breathe 5 - 7 breaths before taking it to the other side.
6 Yoga Poses For Tight Hips