TRY THIS: The Popsicle Stick Workout Jar


If you've never been to the Back To Her Roots website you are truly missing out. Cassie, the gal who runs it from her hobby farm in Indiana, always comes up with some great ideas, recipes and straight up fun. One of our favorite entries is the one about her Popsicle Stick Workout Jar, which she explains below. Check it out...
It’s time for another Pinterest Challenge, friends! If you weren’t around the last time I did one of these, basically, it’s a self-instituted challenge to stop pinning and actually turn some of the ideas on my Pinterest boards into reality. In the past, I’ve made cake stands, figured out an easy-to-make spray for wavy hair and made a mirror made out of Goodwill finds and flatware. But today, we’re talking workouts!
Pinterest is a really interesting place when it comes to health and fitness. And by “interesting” I mean, “scary”. It’s full of thinspiration, workouts created by people who aren’t personal trainers and lots of unhealthy tips and tricks for dropping weight fast. It’s basically my least favorite area of Pinterest. Which is sad, because it has the potential for being an amazing place to share inspiring stories, workouts and foods.
Sigh.
But alas, if you push aside all that unhealthy stuff, there are a few really amazing fitness-related gems on Pinterest, and one of them was this amazing workout jar idea:
The pin doesn’t link to an original source (which I never like) but whoever came up with this, you are awesome! What a great idea! Basically, you write exercises on some popsicle sticks, put them in a jar and then pull them out at random to build yourself a work out. I loved the idea! I love that there are a lot of different combinations to make a wide variety of workouts. Such a great way to bust boredom.
What I didn’t love? The total randomness. What if I got five back exercises and no cardio or other muscle groups? What if I got just one of each muscle group and didn’t get enough of workout on any part of my body? Oh! The horror!
So I removed the total randomness. I made categories! I started by painting popsicle sticks in six different colors.
And then I worked on groups of exercises in each of six different categories: cardio, core, legs, arms, back and chest. The idea: for each workout, I pull out one stick of each color and suddenly, I’ve got myself a well-rounded, custom-designed workout!
I used a thin black Sharpie to jot each workout down on the light-colored dried popsicle sticks and a thin silver paint pen on the dark ones. READ THE REST HERE.

Comments